My current research focuses on interpersonal interactions and close relationships - in particular, how relationship processes are shaped by personality dimensions and social contexts. For example, my collaborators and I have studied how dispositional self-esteem - one's overall feelings about oneself - affects people's willingness to reveal themselves to others through self-disclosure, how self-esteem and trait agreeableness interact to influence the negativity of one's disclosures, and how people in relationships influence each other's emotions.
Selected Recent Publications
- Cameron, J. J., Stinson, D. A., & Wood, J. V. (2013). The bold and the bashful: Self-esteem, gender, and relationship initiation. Social Psychological and Personality Science, 4, 685 - 692.
- Kille, D. R., Forest, M. L., & Wood, J. V. (2013). Tall, dark, and stable: Embodiment motivates mate selection. Psychological Science, 24, 112 - 114.
- Gaucher, D., Wood, J. V., Stinson, D. A., Forest, A. L., Holmes, J. G., & Logel, C. (2012). Perceived regard explains self-esteem differences in expressivity. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 38, 1144-1156.
- Cavallo, J. V., Holmes, J. G., Fitzsimons, G. M., Murray, S. L., Wood, J. V. (2012). Managing motivational conflict: How self-esteem and executive resources influence self-regulatory responses to risk. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 103, 430-451.
- Forest, A.L., & Wood, J. V. (2012). When social networking is not working: Individuals with low self-esteem recognize but do not reap the benefits of self-disclosing on Facebook. Psychological Science. 23, 295-302.
- Stinson, D.A., Gaucher, D., Wood, J.V., Reddoch, L., Holmes, J.G, & Little, C.G. (2012). Sex, "lies," and videotape: Self-esteem and successful presentation of gender roles. Social Psychological and Personality Science, 3, 503 - 509.
- Forest, A. L. & Wood, J. V. (2011). When partner caring leads to sharing: Expectations of partner responsiveness, self-esteem, and expressing oneself. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology. 47, 843-848.
- Stinson, D.A., Logel, C., Holmes, J.G., Wood, J.V., Forest, A.L., Gaucher, D., Fitzsimons, G., & Kath, J. (2010). The regulatory function of self-esteem: Testing the acceptance and epistemic signaling systems. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 99 (6), 993-1013.
- Wood, J. V., Perunovic, W. Q. E., & Lee, J. (2009). Positive thinking: Power for some, peril for others. Psychological Science, 20, 860-866.
- Stinson, D. A., Cameron, J. J., Wood, J., Gaucher, D., & Holmes, J. G. (2009). Deconstructing the "reign of error:" A risk-regulation account of the self-fulfilling prophecy of acceptance. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 35, 1165-1178.